I’ll start with the truth: transitions are hard.
And this holds true for any transition, career or life. This column is the first in a series about myths surrounding transitions. These myths are widely held, accepted as Truth, and rarely challenged. The result? Many people find themselves frustrated, stuck, and unable to move out of their current situation into one that fits them better — and may bring more engagement, fulfillment and happiness.
I am a Coach who specializes in working with people as they face the challenges and opportunities that accompany transition. I’ve seen so many people that find it difficult to take advantage of the exciting prospects that come with change. It’s true, creating change can be hard, but myths about how it is “supposed” to stop often stop us as we try to change our lives.
Below are the Top Ten Myths About Transitions, culled from my years of coaching. If you have ever thought any of the Myths below, coaching might be a good choice to help you successfully navigate through the changes you want to make.
In subsequent columns, I will explore and de-bunk each myth and give you a tool or two to move past it in order to successfully navigate through your transitions.
TOP TEN MYTHS ABOUT TRANSITIONS
- It’s too hard. I can’t do it.
- If I really wanted to do that, wouldn’t I be doing it already?
- All I need is some free time to think about it, and I should be able to figure it out.
- I should be able to figure this out by myself. Or with the support of my significant other.
- This shouldn’t take too long — maybe a month or two — to figure this out.
- This should only be about work. The rest of my life is separate.
- I should be able to apply my MBA-like, strategy skills to this problem.
- I can’t make any money doing what I really want to do.
- Even though I’m burned out (or just lost my job), I should be able to just focus and muscle
- This isn’t the right time.
I’d love to know what you think, so if you have experienced any of these, let me know.
Coaching facilitates the process of transition by helping to break down the myths that get in the way of you making the changes you want. Work with a coach — your transition will be easier and more effective.
Write to me with any inquiries about coaching or questions about your own transition at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you!